Thursday, January 17, 2013

itchy feet, baby kicks, and still waiting

Back in the day: 2-week-old Lena.  *cue heart melting*

Well, based on some excitement this morning, we thought today might be the day that our little boy would be born!  

But it wasn't.  I'm still pregnant.

It all started last night when I yanked off my slippers and told Elliott, "My feet are so itchy.  Why is that?  So weird."  That night the itching continued and even got worse.  The soles of my feet and my hands both itched, at times so much that I couldn't sleep.

When we Googled these symptoms in the morning, we learned that they are related to cholestasis of pregnancy, a condition in which bile flow from the liver slows or stops.  "Cholestasis of pregnancy," says the Mayo Clinic, "poses no long-term risk to the mother. Cholestasis of pregnancy can be dangerous for a developing baby, however.  Early delivery is usually recommended."

Ummm... yikes!  

And when I called my OB, she thought so too.  We spent the morning at the hospital for a non-stress test, amniocentesis fluid level test, and several labs.  The results of all of those so far show a happy, healthy, kickin' away baby who has plenty of resources in there to keep hanging out for awhile and no apparent distress.  They sent us home, all smiles, and told us to come back if the itching got much worse.

So no baby today.  And thank the Lord, frankly!  When I got off the phone this morning and we knew we had to go in to the hospital (and might come back with a baby), I looked around the house and felt bubbling concern.  I'm not ready to have a baby!  There is still so much to do!  I have to organize his clothes in his room, I have to put our files in order, I have to clean the kitchen.  I still haven't packed my hospital bag or frozen a single meal!

"And," I said to Elliott.  "It's January 17th!  I don't want to have a baby on January 17th!"

"Why not?" Elliott said, unperturbed by the possible new birthdate of our baby.  "Let's see, one-seventeen-thirteen... that adds up to 31.  31 flavors of ice cream.  It would be a good birthday."

Thank you, honey.

So not today.  A little more time to prepare.  A little more time to look at the mess in my house instead of look down at a little bundle in my arms.  A little more time to plug through a to-do list (which will be just as long when the baby comes anyway).  A little more time to realize I am worrying about the wrong things and to thank God that this--the timing, our health, our baby boy's birthday--is all in His hands. 

Did you feel ready when your baby arrived?  Or were you overdue and more than ready?

16 comments:

  1. Brady came a week early and I was totally unprepared! The good news is, we survived and there will always be a kitchen to be cleaned a million times over, laundry to do, and the to-do list ever growing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good reminders, Anna... thank you. I'm glad I checked one more thing off my to-do list tonight: finished teaching the knitting class! Thanks for being an awesome student. :-)

      Delete
  2. Exciting. :) It IS hard to live in the present, much of the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, she is so small in that photo! she's going to be a wonderful sister!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex was 11 days "late." But I started feeling bad on my due date, so I stopped going into work. Used up a week of maternity leave just hanging out. In retrospect, it was lovely to have a week with my husband - our last just the two of us. We did everything under the sun to try to make him come out. But he was happy where he was :-) And about those frozen meals....they are still in my freezer one year later. So glad you didn't have a surprise! Enjoy your last few days as a family of three!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "And about those frozen meals....they are still in my freezer one year later." Haha, that's a good way to put all my preparation in perspective! It will either be undone pretty much immediately or maybe not enjoyed until much, much later!

      Delete
  5. Points to Elliott, my fellow lactose-freer (so miss the 31 flavors)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Becca,
    The time will come soon enough . I am glad everything is ok, I got you card and I read you blog all the time and enjoy all your stories. Lena is so cute and with a new baby comming you will really be busy enjoy every minute.
    Your grandmother Margaret from Fl.
    I just haven't been able to travel much theses last few years but I enjoyed
    seeing you and you family at the wedding. I hope I can in the near future.

    .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet Grandma Margaret! I miss you and am so glad you are staying in touch. I hope we can see you sometime soon!

      Delete
  7. None of my babies stayed in till their due dates -- unless you count Wyatt who came on his sonogram due date, which was a week *earlier* than my estimates (which, trust me, are much more accurate), and he was 9lbs 5 ozs. Yesterday though was the tenth birthday of my second daughter who came on the day of my baby shower. I was totally NOT prepared. I didn't even have my bag packed. But always in retrospect, you realize tht whenever they come, it's perfect timing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and my heart is melting at that pic of Lena!!

      Delete
    2. So true. Babies have their own timers for when to come out! Either way, it's perfect... and you forget everything once that baby is in your arms.

      Delete
  8. So glad that little papoose and his mama are doing so well, even with that little hiccup.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad you are healthy, and no inducement needed for scary complications!

    My son was born at 40w6d, which felt overdue, but I reminded myself (fellow RN here), that overdue is past 42 weeks.

    I bounced on my birth ball, walked, had sex, ate pinapple, took evening primrose oil, spicy food, you name it.

    If I had another, I would relax and know baby will come when they are ready :)

    ReplyDelete

let's have a conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...