Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Dutch babies + pigtail buns


Saturday morning usually means piping hot whole wheat pancakes (< they're so good that I'm proud of them even though they're not from scratch!).  Every now and then, though, it's fun to try something new.  I had seen a recipe for Dutch babies on one of my favorite blogs and decided to give it a try.   I went to work with a very cheerful assistant.


Moments later we sat down to Dutch babies dusted with powdered sugar and sprinkled with lemon.  Although I did like them, I'm not sure I'd repeat the topping combination, because the flavor of egg was too strong for me.  I might prefer them with pure maple syrup, like we eat on our pancakes, or... Nutella and bananas?

Because everything is better with Nutella.  Can I get an amen?


Dutch Babies 
serves two
adapted from Elephantine
Ingredients
  • 2 room-temperature eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup sifted all-purpose flour
  • a pinch of ground nutmeg
  • a pinch of salt
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • Toppings
    • lemon slices
    • powdered sugar for dusting
    • jam
    • maple syrup
    •  Nutella!
Directions
  1. Place an oven-proof skillet (mine is 10") into your oven and heat to 425˚F. 
  2. In a medium bowl, beat eggs with a whisk until light and frothy. Add milk and stir. Gradually whisk in flour, nutmeg and salt. 
  3. Remove skillet from oven. Melt butter in the hot skillet, rotating to coat. Pour the batter into the skillet and return skillet to oven. 
  4. Bake until puffed and lightly browned, about 12 minutes. 
  5. Remove promptly, slice into quarters and squeeze lemon slices over the pieces, then sprinkle with powdered sugar.

7 comments:

  1. Yum!! We make dutch pancakes all the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lena looks so much bigger in these pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did Elliott tell you that Dutch babies used to be one of our staple dinners, especially when Dad was away? Everyone loved them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he did, with peach sauce! I might make them again this summer, I think, when peaches are in season, to try to reproduce some of his childhood for him. I never do it perfectly, though... Mama's cookin' is always best!

      Delete

let's have a conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...