Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Wednesday morning at the market

 

Many times I worry that I am not living in Italy enough.  Do I appreciate the food, the language, the culture of this beautiful land?  Am I learning the food, the language, the culture?  What ways can I more fully embrace living in Italy?

Once a week I have a ritual that is entirely Italian: Lena and I walk to the Wednesday outdoor market in our town.  I have come to rely on the stalls full of vegetables and fruits to stock my pantry and refrigerator, as I cannot find better prices or fresher produce anywhere during the week. 

I love these trips: pushing Lena's stroller through the streets of our town and waving at our acquaintances (the old man in the general store, the boy who works in the bottled water store), the arrival in the hustle and bustle of the market, the ritual of tearing off a number printed on thin colored paper from the stack dangling in front of my favorite vendors' stall, the meanderings from stall to stall until my number is finally called, the routine of ordering in Italian as best I can and being helped along by the vendors (father, mother, and son, I think) who by now smile in recognition at me, love Lena, and know when my baby is due.
Today Lena and I arrived at the market during the morning rush, so while we waited for our turn to get fruits and vegetables, we wandered around the market and took some pictures.
















At last it was our turn to buy fruits and vegetables! Afterwards we checked to see how our car wash was coming along.  We borrowed our friends' van this week while they were out of town and our persnickety old Honda was in the shop.  I decided to get their van cleaned while we were at the market.  The men washed it inside and out by hand... and all for the equivalent of $20.  I'm coming back with our car next week!

9 comments:

  1. So many good things at that market! I love going to my local market on saturdays :) there's always so many great things to find! And baby girl looks like she's having so much fun!! Love that photo of her in the blankets :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So similar to our markets here in Brazil! Lovely colors...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks pretty chilly by the way everyone's dressed. I'm picturing the day we were there :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess probably won't believe these photos either after we sweated our way to the market each week in July and August!

      Delete
  4. Nice photos! You have the cutest family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When can Poppy come and go to 'market day'? Such lovely pictures and precise descriptions. Life is lived, one crisp, succulent vegetable at a time. So sweet. Hugs. Pai

    ReplyDelete
  6. That market looks like a great place...I'm missing the fresh things from my garden about now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Becca,
    Great post. Which market is this? It looks like a good alternative to going to the craziness of Catania market. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the Motta market, Nick. Every Wednesday from 8-1. Definitely check it out; the produce at the stall in the back (the busiest produce stall) is always excellent and the prices can't be beat.

      Delete

let's have a conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...