Thursday, December 6, 2012

three for thursday {and some thoughts}



From our walk this morning: persimmons for Elliott (he loves them), Lena enjoying her red Christmas ball from the grocer, and the colors of our Italian neighborhood that make me happy.

Currently reading: Blog, Inc.by Joy of the blog Oh Joy!  She's giving me so much to think about for my blog.  I am trying to read quickly, though, as I have less than four weeks to finish my book goal (read a book a week in 2012) and six books to go (yikes!).

Currently listening to: Ordinary Time.  Elliott and I bought their Christmas CD (< you can listen to the whole CD there) when we heard them perform at our church in Cambridge, MA, back in our courtin' days.  It's one of my favorite Christmas CDs.  Any other good suggestions?

Currently thinking about: How I really need to sweep the floors.  Honestly... our floors.  I have to sweep them at least twice a week to keep on top of all the dust and grime.  How often do you have to clean your floors??

Currently planning: Pretty much nothing.  I'm so glad that Night of Noel and the craft fair are over and I can just relax a bit!  I am getting excited about making these cinnamon rolls for breakfast for the single sailors in the barracks this Saturday, though. 

Currently making me happy:  The sweetness of life during this holiday season.  Elliott and I are so happy these days and are having so much fun together in the evenings as we work on our projects side by side.  Lena is cheerful and responsive and sweet, a delight to be around as she learns and grows each day.  We all pat my growing stomach with thankfulness and awe.  These are precious days before our family expands in less than two months!  After many years of waking up in the morning and often dreading what the day held (I hated math in high school, I was stressed by exams in college, I feared the chaos of work, etc.), it is so wonderful to wake up each morning and be thrilled to start the day.  To kiss my husband (who is actually beside me instead of deployed) and go get my baby girl from her crib to snuggle with us in bed for awhile, to make warm oatmeal for breakfast to give us a toasty start for the day, to go on walks with Lena around our lovely neighborhood, to spend Lena's naptimes cleaning and writing and reading and creating, to cook a meal for dinner every night and welcome Elliott home with peace and joy...

... oh, I am so blessed!

10 comments:

  1. We could (and often do) sweep daily, but I never know how often to vacuum and mop! I think I'm lazier about it because we sweep so often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sweeping the floors comment reminded me of a funny thing my Great Grandpa would say whenever he needed to sweep his kitchen, "I think I could grow carrots on my floor!"
    How do you prepare persimmons? Do you prefer to eat them raw, or do you cook them in other recipes? I have never really cared for persimmons. It's not that I dislike them, but I have never actually enjoyed them. If I had other ideas for eating them beside raw, I might actually learn to like them more. Any recipes to share?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have only eaten them raw here, but I was thinking about turning the older ones into some kind of jam or preserves. I'll report back if this ever happens. :-)

      Delete
  3. love what you had to say about being happy. It's always just the little things that make such a biiiiig difference :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. what are your last 6 books going to be??!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just working on the list now... and I'm not entirely sure! I have 2 picked out after this (Heaven Is for Real and Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet) and am looking for other enjoyable, quick read suggestions!

      Delete
  5. I've never had persimmons before, and always wondered what they tasted like. I've also wondered about the Blog, Inc. book too. Are you finding it helpful? Kudos for reading a book a week... wow! I'm guessing kid's books don't count?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking about making kids' books count because that way I could be done with my book goal by today! But no, these have all been books for personal reading so far.

      I have liked the Blog Inc. book a great deal and am planning to do a book review when I'm done with it, so stay tuned for that!

      Delete
    2. Ha ha! Kids books should count and in that case I'm sure you're waaaay over your goal.

      I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Blog, Inc. book. :)

      Delete
  6. I'm just glowing inside, thinking of you so happy, and imagining your peaceful yet lively household.

    ReplyDelete

let's have a conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...