Friday, December 21, 2012

our book tree + Christmas cheer!

our book tree! 



now with presents... all we need is Christmas morning



Merry Christmas, dear readers!  I've been wanting to share our holiday decor with you for awhile, but... well, until a few days ago we didn't have a tree at all, so that would have been a bit of a bust.  The other afternoon, though, I had an extra hour and decided to surprise Elliott when he came home with another book tree.  We made our first one last year and loved it, as there is no better tree for budget-conscious nerds like us.  (It also completely eliminates the "are we fake tree people or real tree people??" debate.)  This year our tree is elevated out of the reach of little hands on my craft table, and it has made that dark corner of the living room come alive.

(By the way, I scored the cute vintage mitten wrapping paper and the retro stripe paper from IKEA earlier this week.  So pretty!)

And, of course, there are the other holiday decorations for our home, like garlands on the bannisters and bows on the door (although I loved our red ones last year even more than these glittery gold bows).  I also love displaying my grandmother's gift to us: a tiny little tree from Switzerland with its precious wooden ornaments.

I will tell you that I had another tree first.  It was quite beautiful and creative, and I was pleased today when Martha Stewart's Organizing Tip of the Day email had the same idea.  I took two medium-sized tree branches, spray-painted them gold, and put them in a glass vase.  I then carefully hung all our beautiful handmade ornaments (again, thank you, Grammie, for your gift of a handmade ornament every year of my life!) on the branches as well as two beautiful glass ball ornaments that Elliott and I had purchased soon after we got married.

Unfortunately it was a little top heavy, I guess.  It fell over.  The casualty?  One of those newlywed glass ornaments smashed into a million pieces!  I dismantled the tree and took the branches out to the trash heap.  Sorry, honey, I have a long way to go before I'm Martha!

9 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so glad you got around to sharing your holiday decor. The book tree is perfectly nerdy and cute! I adore it, probably because I'm such a nerd. ;)

    Have a wonderful Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally unrelated, but I noticed your Dietrich Bonhoeffer book and just about flipped. I LOVE him! I'm also really into A. W. Tozer right now, have you read any of his work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't think I've read any Tozer since high school, and then only a little bit. Elliott loved the Bonhoeffer book last year and couldn't put it down, so I'd like to read it in the new year!

      Delete
  3. I like your book tree! Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the book tree! Merry Christmas to you and your sweet family. I hope all the goodies turned out good for your holiday cheer. I have more pom+prosecco ready to go for brunch on the big day, and will toast to your little bun in the oven (and sip a little extra for you)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So precious!
    xx
    http://thepocketbookblogg.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your book tree and I see a couple of friends in the stack. :) Sorry about your ornament. I am with you on the whole Martha thing. I'm old enough to not be very hopeful. My first visit to your lovely blog so am going to go have a look around. Christmas Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Becca! This is such a neat idea! I love it!! Hope you had a nice holiday. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

let's have a conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...