Monday, October 22, 2012

welcoming our Maine Coon kitten!


Well, we did it.  We adopted a cat!  We're probably the only veterinarian's family who hasn't had a whole passel of dogs, cats, and other animals since vet school.  

I guess the idea of adopting a cat started this spring.  I mentioned it could be fun to get a cat, and Elliott immediately began looking for Sicilian Maine Coons.  We both already loved these cats after Elliott cared for a rescued Maine Coon in vet school.  They are known for their beautiful long-haired coats, talkative and almost dog-like personality, gentle and friendly attitude towards children, playful and personable natures, and their unique looks.

By "unique looks" I mean that they look a bit wild, perhaps because of the manes around their necks (especially pronounced on males) and tufts of fur at the tips of their ears.  See what I mean in this photo?

Perhaps needless to say, Lena loves her!

So far we're thrilled with her personality.  She spent the first five months of her life with the family that owns her parents, and this family also has multiple children as well as two huge mastiffs.  So she's not only used to people... she loves them!  We had a houseful of adults and kids over last night and she was happy to interact with everyone, wandering around between little legs and curiously watching the children's games. 

She's sitting behind my head on the couch as I write this, watching me type and purring up a storm.  Already this cold winter will be warmer with her next to me as I write blog posts or knit or read.

Oh... and her name.  We finally picked a name last night.  It is Siena.  She's named after the beautiful Italian city of Siena and also for the burnt orange color (ie. sienna) mixed into her beautiful coat.

 Welcome, Siena!  We're so excited for many years ahead with you, our beautiful kitten.

13 comments:

  1. How fun! I never knew that about Maine Coon's...good to know. We had a cat growing up and I loved her, but I admit that cats can be so...rude. When Kurt and I got married we got Lucy and I moved over to being a dog person. ..with a soft side for cats. Siena makes me a believer! So glad you got her in time for the cold weather :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Glad Siena makes you a believer!

      Were you having trouble posting comments before?

      Delete
  3. She's adorable! my friends have a Maine Coon kitty called Miss Jones and she is lovely...although I have never met her in the flesh. She was bought in London and transported back to the States when they moved back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Di, we thought about getting a rescue Maine Coon kitten in the States and then transporting her here to Sicily, but it ended up being the same cost-wise, and we liked the idea of having a kitten grow up with us. She'll get her own transatlantic flight in a couple years when we move, probably back to the States. :-)

      Delete
  4. Siena is beautiful! I love that she has that wild look to her, but is just a lovable softie at heart! Such a great addition to your family! And, yeah, how did you not have a pet before now with a vet husband. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, we've come close to adopting MANY animals MANY times. :-)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily! She's sleeping at my feet right now. I feel like I just adopted a new child!

      Delete
  6. I think Siena is the perfect name!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so cute! and think that's a perfect name!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely cat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that breed of cat. Our daughters cat is similar is size and hair to Maine Coons.

    ReplyDelete

let's have a conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...