Friday, December 9, 2011

making home in Sicily

Elliott shooed me off to the library on base to run some errands, make a blog post, and generally have some alone time.  Ahhh.  So nice to be able to focus on my computer for more than 5 minutes without worrying about where little mobile Lena is off to next!

I'm so glad to finally be able to share some photos of our home in Sicily.  From chaos to... less chaos.  Here we go!

Last Wednesday (less than 24 hours after we'd flown back to Sicily), the movers brought our boxes to our new home.  We took a lunch break in our kitchen halfway through the day.  Thrilled to be moving in at last!


The movers left around 4pm, and they left everything in chaos because they needed to find all "valuable items" (of which we have... like... nothing... but still certain things had been listed).  So they unpacked and/or went through every box for us!  Where to begin?


Here's what our bedroom looked like:


And Lena's room:


Ahhh... take a break to look out the huge kitchen window at that beautiful view.


The next morning we tackled the kitchen.  Lena was an eager participant.  We have these open shelves in our new kitchen, meaning everything dangerous must be moved out of baby's reach.  She's pulling herself up and swiping stuff off shelves as quick as she can these days.


But oh... how can you resist that cuteness?


Elliott took a few photos of the view from our balcony:




Another morning in front of the kitchen window.  That's the "gentle giant" Mt Etna smoking in the background.


After a few days, Lena's room looked better!


Now to tackle all our books.  Eventually I shelved them by category and in alphabetical order.  Whew.


The washing machine is a new source of fascination.


More beautiful views from the balcony.  We're looking down on a valley and then out towards the Mediterranean.  We can hear cow bells as herds graze in the hills or watch shepherds tending their sheep.



The books are shelved, the cardboard boxes are gone, the tubs are filling up with things to put in the garage... it's beginning to look a little more like home!

6 comments:

  1. What fantastic views! I thought I had a lovely view but yours is amazing. It does look like you are settling in. I finally unpacked my last box about a year after moving (and I only moved up the stairs!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That view is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love a good view. And this post makes me long to come visit you guys there.
    How's Lena doing with all the transition?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed, Jon. You have cowbells!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Becca! This is Jennifer Heath (Bates) from college. I recently found your blog and linked it to mine (www.jackotaco.blogspot.com). I must say, I'm a wee bit jealous of your move to Italy. Justin and I spent 3 days in Florence and Rome back in 2009 and it was my favorite European country we visited on that trip (also visited Spain and France). The views are just spectacular from your windows ... keep those photos coming for us back here in the states! Lena is just beautiful! What a lucky little girl to get to experience the world in that way!
    We are doing well here in VA. I am expecting another little one in May 2012 (days after Jackson's 2nd birthday). I'm not sure if you've followed my blog at all, but Jackson has a rare medical condition (Progressive Infantile Scoliosis) for which we travel to Philadelphia, PA for treatment every 10 weeks or so ... so that's our "seeing the world" for right now. He is doing beautifully! Other than that, I am enjoying being a homemaker right now ... trying my best to dabble with photography. So glad to see your family is thriving. Take Care!

    Love,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness. 1.) Cute CUTE little girl. 2.) You live where my roots are! Loving your blog!

    ReplyDelete

let's have a conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...