Monday, December 19, 2011

it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

It has taken us awhile to get our act together, but this weekend we kicked into gear and did some Christmas decorating around here.

This is our pride and joy: our book tree.  I mentioned before that we might make one, and finally we decided to give it a shot!  We chose all our favorite books for the tree, and for a tree topper I cut out a cardboard star and covered it with tin foil.  Sweet and very appropriate for this family.


In the rest of the house, there are bows on our front door...


... and garlands on the staircase.  (And a very cuddly snuggle muffin after her bath.)


We also have a miniature artificial tree that my grandmother gave us.  It is originally from Switzerland and comes with itty-bitty wooden ornaments.   So far Lena hasn't reached either tree or the presents, but I wouldn't put it past her.


This is the first time in our marriage that Elliott and I have had a tree or any Christmas decorating whatsoever.  For our first Christmas, Elliott was deployed to Egypt.  I left our little undecorated apartment to spend Christmas and New Year's with him.  It seems appropriate that we make up for it this year!

(Although... to be perfectly honest, I think we're more motivated by peer pressure.  Elliott's vet clinic staff are coming on Thursday for a Christmas party and then my family arrives on Saturday.  Just the inspiration we needed to deck the halls!)

5 comments:

  1. WOW!!! super cool!! Can't believe you made the tree! Wish I could come visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the book tree - what a wonderful idea!! Wishing your family a lovely holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, you two! We love it... and it has inspired some hilarious renditions, like this one by Danielle Diamond: http://pics.livejournal.com/d_diamond_dvm/pic/000102fe/. She was tired of unpacking boxes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The tree is AMAZING! Such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my gosh! the tree is absolutely amazing. i love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete

let's have a conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...